ON-THE-ROAD INSTRUCTION COURSE
Registration and Cost
- Cost for the 6 trainings required to complete the course is $315.00 (effective 9/7/2021).
- The On-the-Road program will take several months to complete.
- We will attempt to start your child's On-the-Road instruction as soon as possible, but please be aware that there may be a significant wait period of up to 2 months.
- Driver training cars are provided by CIU 20.
- A student must have their driving permit in order to take part in this instruction, as required by the state.
- The student will drive with our instructors, adapting new aptitudes.
- Parents are then expected to supplement this instruction with a minimum of 65 hours of instruction, as required by PennDOT.
- A Classroom Theory course is required if the student wishes to obtain their license through CIU 20 (classroom theory course isn't required if student wishes to obtain their license elsewhere).
- List of approved providers can be found here.
- Students may take the classroom theory course at the same time they are learning with our instructors and practicing with their parents.
- Upon successful completion of a Classroom Theory Course, the CIU 20 On-the-Road Instruction, and the 65 supplemental hours, the student may take the final PennDOT licensing exam with one of our instructors.
- No student will be eligible for testing with a CIU 20 instructor unless said instructor approves of the testing.
- Students in their senior year of high school, must complete the final end-of-course skills test to obtain one's license by August 31st of the calendar year in which they graduate.
PA Department of Transportation - Teen Driver Information
- PA Department of Transportation - Teen Driver Information Center
- PA Young Driver Law Fact Sheet
CLASSROOM THEORY COURSE
In order to take a Classroom Theory course, a student must be entering 10th, 11th, or 12th grade. The student does not need their driving permit for the Classroom Theory course.
Benefits of taking the course are:
- Students will learn how to handle a vehicle safely in a wide variety of potentially dangerous situations.
- Students will be eligible for their senior license one year after securing their junior license.
- Students may be eligible for an insurance reduction of 10-15%.
Please understand that participation in this program is voluntary. No course credit toward graduation is awarded for this course. Please check with your school district's guidance department prior to registering for our classroom theory course to determine if your HS offers an in-house driver education program.
Also, not all insurance providers offer this discount. Some will require the student to complete the Classroom Theory course as well as On-the-Road instruction in order to receive the discount, so please check with your insurance provider.
Please see the Pennsylvania Department of Education Approved Classroom Theory page for links to alternative classes. For a list of classes in our region, please visit this page.