Therapeutic Emotional Support
The Therapeutic Emotional Support Program serves children and their families in Northampton, Monroe, and Pike counties, providing special education services including social emotional learning/social skills instruction, mental health services, replacement behaviors, Restorative Practices, and academic instruction.
The primary goal of the Therapeutic Emotional Support Program is to provide the support and structure for students who have been identified as requiring emotional and behavioral interventions. This academic program with a therapeutic component is designed to respond to a student’s individual strengths and needs. Specialized techniques in behavior management, group dynamics, and emotional development are employed to foster a better awareness of feelings, thoughts, and behaviors. Our program develops independence and autonomy of students necessary for successful reintegration into the regular school program.
About the Program
A wide variety of educational approaches and techniques are used within the Therapeutic Emotional Support Program to develop academic and behavior skills.
- Highly incentive-based program utilizing a level system of rewards and positive behavior interventions and strategies
- Students have an individualized point sheet based on IEP goals that are tracked daily
- Social Emotional Learning Curriculum utilized in the program include Zones of Regulation, Super Hero Social Skills, Second Step Program (Social Learning), and Skill Streaming Social Skill Instruction.
- All staff are trained in TACT II (Verbal De-escalation)
- Therapeutic Activities and field trips are planned for students to work on using social skills in the community.
- Academically, students follow the school district curriculum where they attend.
Within thirty days of a student’s start date, they are evaluated using standardized tests such as the WRAT-5.
- In addition, placement tests in math and reading are given to determine the student’s ability levels. Staff also uses progress monitoring (daily, weekly, and bi-monthly) to monitor student progress for both academics and behavior.
- Social Emotional Learning Curriculum include Zones of Regulation, Super Hero Social Skills, Second Step Program (Social Learning), Skill Streaming - Social Skill Instruction, TACT II (Verbal De-escalation), Functional Behavior Analysis, Positive Behavior Support Plan, Therapeutic Activities, Daily Behavior Goal Sheets, Community Time (Daily Personal Goal-Setting), Empirically-Based Cognitive Treatment Interventions, Severe Behavior Crisis Plan.
- Programs such as mindfulness, yoga, and music therapy are utilized in our TES classrooms.
- Functional Behavior Assessment (FBA) - This is a method of identifying the function which an inappropriate behavior serves for a child in order to teach a more acceptable way of expressing that needs. This evaluation leads to the development of IEP goals and objectives.
- The classroom staff consists of a teacher, an associate teacher, and/or a mental health worker. The classrooms are supported with bi-weekly/bi-monthly visits by licensed social workers, program specialists, clinical coordinators, school psychologists, and educational supervisors.
- Transition - Post-school outcomes are considered when developing an IEP for students of transition age. Post-school training, living arrangements, employment, and recreational activities for adult life are all components of a transition plan.
- Behavioral Health Services (BHRS) - Our staff consults and collaborates with BHRS providers to encourage consistency in interventions across environments and generalization of skills. We can also provide referrals for these services.
- Community Liaison - Resolve has a community liaison that is available to assist families with referrals and links to outside services needed to support your child’s development, such as, BHRS services, doctors, dentists, appointments, etc.
Mr. Lee Van Fleet
Supervisor of Special Education
6 Danforth Drive
Easton, PA 18045
Ms. Daria Scott
Coordinator of Special Education
6 Danforth Drive
Easton, PA 18045